Thursday, July 29, 2010

Don't Wanna Be Politically Correct

A friend I were talking the other day......we were talking about how you approach another person about something you have heard or know about them that is damaging to them and uncomfortable to talk about. We were talking in generalities (this was not a gossip sesh, people). We truly had concerns about how, as Christians, we confront people with the sins in their lives (as the bible instructs us to) when that sin is a touchy subject (i.e. sexual sin, alcohol, drugs, gambling, etc). Also, how to confront someone about a "rumor", something that if true, would be devastating to their walk with God, and if not true, could be devastating to their reputation in the church. We talked a really long time.......

We ended the conversation in agreement that there are just certain things that are not "politically correct" to bring up with people. We don't want to embarrass them (or ourselves) or make them feel "judged" or hurt their feelings. This conclusion.......we BOTH agreed with.

However, it really stuck with me the rest of the day. I couldn't get it out of my head. Politically correct?!? Is that what Jesus calls me to? To be so concerned about what the rest of the world says, that I let a fellow brother or sister in Christ remain in slavery and darkness to their sin? Would I want someone to do that to me? Would I want my friend to not call me out for fear of not being "politically correct"? I seriously could not stop thinking about this........

Jesus was never "politically correct", he healed on the Sabbath Day....that was a BIG no no. He called out the woman at the well and the adulterous woman...........and they were both freed from their sin. He healed those that no one else would touch or talk to. He looked into the hearts of people so enslaved, so entrenched in their sins and ailments, that no "politically correct" person would dare be seen with. Luke 7:36-50, tells us of a sinful woman who washed Jesus' feet with tears and her hair, she poured expensive perfume on Him......she wanted to be seen for who she was, so that she could receive forgiveness and freedom. She didn't care that He knew she was sinful, she did not care that she would be seen for who she was. And Jesus didn't care that it might hurt her feelings, He obviously didn't care what the others in the home thought..........He just freed her.

Jesus also tells us that we are to do the same things He did. John 14:12, Jesus says "I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father." Jesus told us that we would and can and should be doing even greater things than He did here on Earth if we have faith in Him. WOW!!!

That means that if I can stop worrying about being "politically correct" and hurting people's feelings and all that other mumbo jumbo.....and have faith in Jesus....then I can help people reconcile their relationship with God and be freed from their sins!!!! What?!? DUH!!

If I am called to conform to the image of Christ, then I should be doing what He does.Talk about a smack in the head for me :) That's what I should be doing, every single day.

I sincerely and truly just love people. I really really do. But there is so much more to love than just being nice and doing nice things for them. I need to love them so much that I can, without fear, confront those I love about their lives and sins and help them find freedom in Christ.

I don't wanna be "politically correct" anymore........I wanna be like Jesus :)

No comments:

Post a Comment